Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Tranquilo, tranquilo

My teammates will love this story, because of the years I have developed nicknames and a reputation that can be wrapped up in one name, “Hassle.”  When I guess in Argentina football people who hassle are not liked much.  I thought my team got frustrated with me when every collision was a hard tackle or I dark out orders.  Well I pretty much felt excommunicate after playing with some guys five on five tonight.  The one language I felt I could speak down here; the one thing I thought would unite me with these people, when I failed to communicate was suddenly excluding me.  Despite me playing well, scoring a goal, taking people on, and creating chances, I was still the old man out at the end of the day.  
It has been two weeks down here and right now I feel like I don’t understand anything that is happening around me.  I walk the streets with my mouth closed tightly hoping I blend in and praying no one talks to me.  I stare blankly into the face of Norma as she rattles on about something that happened or something I need to do.  How I want to crawl into a shell and stay there.  
I keep being told “tranquilo,” which literally translates calm.  I am growing to hate the word!  Tranquilo on the soccer field?  How does that work?  Soccer is a game of passion, intensity, and effort.  It is a physical game!  Tranquilo when I am speaking?  I am anxious, nervous, and fearful all at once.  It is not a good recipe for being calm.  Tranquilo with the language.  I have been here two weeks.  The other students are flying past me.  I am not understanding anything, and all I want to do is learn this bloody language!  Which seems impossible right now!  I don’t want to be TRANQUILO.  I want to yell, run, scream, punch, and... cry.
I guess my teammates are not the only ones that think I need to relax.  So... I am here...  I am in Buenos Aires for five and a half more months.  I am going to have to learn to be “tranquilo.”  I am going to have to continue giving up control, practicing the language, and remain patient.  

4 comments:

  1. HI Trent! It's great to read about how things are going down there. This is exactly where God wants you to be. Keep learning. TRANQUILO! We miss you. We played indoor today for a couple of hours. The team did well and you would have been proud. Nathan Zuercher was able to play today too! We will keep praying for you bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, this is Dad and I just want to say that I have been thinking and praying a lot for you. I'm sitting here looking at a white out across the lake wondering how that 70 degree weather down there is feeling. I understand things can be difficult but that’s why you are there. Just keep in mind your ultimate goal is to learn and understand the culture so that you may help others in the future. Be patient and all thing will work out. Love you lots and you are always on my mind. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi trent!
    It's Danielle - from spanish class. Learning sooooo much about what to expect when I head there this summer/fall from reading your blog! I'll keep you Gracies in my prayers (:

    Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! This is Anne. So I just laughed out loud while reading your post. Not at you but because I can hear all the guys voices in my head saying, "Tanquilo!" Just keep going. You will eventually settle into how they are playing and they will eventually get used to some of your intensity. I've played with them and you so I think it can happen. Don't give up! I will be praying that God will bring you someone to give you some encouragement face-to-face. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete