Thursday, February 2, 2012

Twenty-Eight Days




Four weeks, twenty-eight days, 672 hours, 40320 minutes, or 2,416,200 seconds I have been in Argentina, whatever measurement of time your prefer.  It has went by so fast.  In reality one sixth of my trip is already done.  That is kind of depressing, at least for me, because I know some people, especially my mother would love to have me safe at home.  

The shock has begun to reside.  While I don’t feel like I completely fit in yet, that is obvious because there are days that I am in able to speak the language.  For example the other day I used four different verbs, in four different tenses, within fifteen seconds.  Thankfully the lady simply waited patiently for me to figure out what I wanted to say.  So there are times that I can’t speak, but I feel better.  I feel more tranquilo lol.  
It was neat this morning, when my plans failed to obtain a SUBE card, which is the bus pass, I went out and began snapping pictures.  I began to realize how beautiful of a city it is.  
The city appears torn between two ages.  An age long ago, which was marked be gran architecture and elegant details, and an age of polished brass and crystal glass oppose each other.  While cracked steps lead up to the elegant wooden door, which leads into a house build for a aristocrat long ago, a high rising building overshadows the craftsmanship.  Cracked plaster is exposed as renovations are done upon a building that has weathered storms, wars, and several generations, while the adjacent lot stands empty being prepared to soar high up in the air.  Ivy grows up the wall of a house built of plaster, while steel and glass stand in contrast.  As you walk down the rough streets made up bricks suddenly they change to paved asphalt, then as you turn down another street it is lined with statures of people who lived long of reflecting the vast history of the city.  
That was me trying to be poetic and capture a little bit of what the city looks and feels like to me.  Well thing are going pretty well here.  I am racking up funny stories to tell, and here soon I will share some of them.  It has been good.  God has been good!  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Trenton!

    So glad things are getting better. I was starting to worry about you!

    enjoy your time there and soak it all in. I'm sure you will leave your mark on the city and the people you get to know. Buenos Aires will never be the same!

    Mrs. Carter :)

    ReplyDelete