If you know we well sometimes it is practically impossible to follow my train of thought. Well imagine me talking about something off the wall or random in another language. Yep. Sometimes the students down here have to deal with it, but it usually makes for a funny story after the fact.
For example we went to the police station to get a back ground check the other day (it is one of the steps to get a student visa). While we were there I was trying to compare Brittney Smith to Tom Abbitt. Some of you know how Tom says, that he cries at supermarket openings, when for some reason, which I can't even remember now I tried to describe that to the other students in Spanish. Epic fail! Then at the police station some random lady tried to begin helping me, after about five minutes she understood, but the other students didn't. Interesting... I will just say I like the Argentine people better then the North Americans at times haha.
I am also a very literal person at times. The first time I took the Subway I ended up buying for tickets. In the Subway there are these gates that you place your transit card on which has money on it (similar to a debit card) on a a sensor, but each time I did it I saw a red light. In my literal mind I thought there was a error, but in reality there was not an error, but I preceded to do it four times. Well it is safe to say that I wasted some money that day.
I have also put a soccer ball in the river which I had to retrieve. Called a women dirty and said she had a wife. Okay that needs to be explained lol. The word for dirty is "sucio" in Spanish, and her name is Suzi. Well I added an "o" by accident, then the difference between husband and wife is one letter. "Esposo" for husband and "esposa" for wife. Well of course I switched that around too. She was gracious enough to laugh about it, but I definitely looked like a fool. Along with that the first week I was here I mixed up the words for trip and old (viaje, viejo). That kept people quite confused for the first couples days. Until I realized my error.
I am sure I have done other things that are strange, make me look like a fool, or frankly that are just weird, but people have been gracious enough to not mention them to me. It has been an interesting and humbling experience learning a language. I have been seen and felt like a child at times, because I can only communicate like a child. While I miss driving my car (I know it is a silly thing to miss), I am seen as incapable of driving in the crazy argentine environment. It is crazy, but I believe I could do it. However, I would not change any of the experiences I have had. I would not want to look less like a fool, or say less stupid things. It has been a blessing to be humbled, follow others, and learn. Stay tuned for more stupid things from Trenton haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment