2. The process of learning and growing. Growing can be one of the most painful things that one will do in there lifetime. It can also be the most rewarding thing. When you consisting pray for a humble heart, patience in learning, and for contentment in all, you realize that as God shapes and molds a holy heart there is pain, confusion, and brokenness. But amongst those emotions also exists joy, peace, and life. I cannot begin to describe all of the changes God is doing. Learning a language is obvious, but the other changes in my heart, in my life, were completely unexpected. I have a feeling that some people will not even recognize me when I return.
3. My family here. There is nothing more terrifying then trying to join a new family. A family that has their own problems, a family that already knows each others likes, dislikes, and how to relate and interact. I had no idea how this process would go, but I have been blessed by this family. They may not have a ton in material possessions, but they care. They selflessly give. They love me for me, despite all my flaws and terrible manners.
5. That I still have more time here. I have been here two months, which have flown by, especially this last month. I have just begun the things that I want to do, not even to mention the things that I want to learn. I have grown tremendously despite feeling that I have just begun. I have four more months here, and within that time I want to grow tremendously more spiritual, personally, and with the language. Thankful that the trip is not yet over.
6. Dreams and memories. Interesting enough the more time I am here, the more I look back. I have thought about past relationships, I have thought about my failures, and my greatest accomplishments, I have thought about dreams I have made with people. Sometimes the simplest dream of teaching someone to drive, or complicated dreams of returning to a National tournament. I have reflected on my life and at times I have been ashamed, but at time I have been greatly encouraged. I am not perfect, and I will let everyone down that I have any kind of relationship with, but I tai heart in the story of David, the shepherd boy turned king. I am grateful for good memories and left longing by ones.
6. The internet. The internet allows me to stay connected to my family back home. I call my mom frequently and love seeing her, as well as my father. They are incredible individuals who encourage me and whom I love dearly. It has also allowed me to watch movies such as the Pride and Prejudice, Dead Poet's Society, Coach Carter, and Mission Impossible. I am also able to remain in contact with my team, and friends who I miss, as well as creep on their facebooks and blogs. With the internet you are never alone.
8. La Iglesia. The church here is unbelievable. I have never been to a church that is so open, accepting, and intimately involved in one another's lives. The environment is wonder to come, learn, grow, and love. All of the people are gracious, willing to help and serve, and wanting to talk to the "grigos" despite the fact we don't know what they are saying. Well now we can manage conversations, but we began that way. This is a place I feel at home and look forward to attending every week.
10. Honestly I am unable to think of a number ten, so in honor of my friends here I will make a cry out for. ANNNNNGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!!! It is best that I leave it at that.
It is obvious there are things that did not make it on my list. There are things I wish I could elaborate more upon, but for the sake of time and space, here is my list of the ten things I am most thankful for in Argentina. Chau...
Most definitely agree with all but number 9 is especially true!! --anne
ReplyDeleteNo, number nine is definitely true. Argentina has the best ice cream there is (and the best beef, and the best pastries, and the best people... basically the best everything). Glad you're having a good time! Hope to talk to you soon!
ReplyDelete