Thursday, March 29, 2012

"Toy Story" Soundtrack

I am having a bit of writer's block.  Maybe it is because I am not a writer, and I normally try to present my random thoughts in a poetic prose with sophisticated words.  However, I am a simple man with simple thoughts, goals, and dreams.  More likely I cannot write because I have a tremendous amount of pressure compiling in my head.  The last two days I have not felt well.  Increasing pressure in my head, a nose that can't be caught, and some irritation in my throat.  I would say it is nothing more, then the change of weather and a small cold, but I find it difficult to write these days.

Classes are settling into a rhythm much like normal.  There is homework, classes, homework, class, and the dance continues.  You all understand how it goes.  I have begun to play more and more fútbol, although today I lack the initiative to go.  Feeling ill and wanting to be in good health has kept me sidelined today.  However, playing with the school has become one of my favorite things to do.  It is a different group of individuals that I have the opportunity to know and talk to.  Monday we ran for more then an hour, it is so strange, but I enjoyed it.  I enjoyed pushing myself to that next level when the legs were heavy and the breath was short.  Then we played eleven's.  I had an opportunity to play number "cinco" and "cuatro."  In other words that is defensive center-mid, and left back, but I kind of like the number system better.  Other then fútbol and school, my days do not consist of much.  I am lucky to get a little down time.

Today in my economy class, I had to present a chapter in our text.  Once again I realized that I am meant to be a teacher.  I am in world that I struggle at times to communicate, in front of a group of French, German, and U.S. students, and I am sure that my Spanish was not the best.  However, despite my circumstances, I spoke between ten and fifteen minutes, and was able to convey what the factors that cause the development of the Latin American economy in the 19th and beginning of the 20th century.  I know!  Right?  It was strange though, because I almost felt like a different side of me took over.  I was feeling sick, nervous, and a little scared, and suddenly.  I just started to teach IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE.  It was a victory for me today.  I seem to be able to find little victories a little more often recently.  I have had random conversation on the bus with strangers, successfully bought food on my own, and even at fútbol, I talked to the coach and players all in Spanish.  Little victories are beginning to fill up my life.


Strange, when you are so far from home.  Sometimes you feel like there is the Great Wall of China between you and once close friends.  Simple things like not knowing they took off to Chicago for the weekend, changed their name on Facebook, or even baked cookies, suddenly are transformed into live changing events.  You realize how much you have taken for granted the simplest of relationships.  I am realizing that those conversations after class, those quick "hey how you doing," or the random lunch/coffee get togethers are sometimes the most important times with friends.  Being away, you begin to miss it all.

Oh, and I doubt that many of you understand how the title and what I wrote relate.  Well I watched Toy Story 2 last night, and I thought the songs was a good depiction of my life.  Especially, "You Got a Friend in Me," and "Strange Things" are great interpretations of my life.  Well thanks for your prayers.  Thanks for your thoughts.  I miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment