As the week ends I have had plenty of hours to reflect in the back of a pick-up truck. I went to another part of Argentina, which is a little more then twelve hours away. I was accompanied by our trusty Argentina friend, Fernando, Andrew, and Brittney. Mendoza is known for its wine that completes with the best from Italy and the Andes mountains. However my adventure starts even before our trip.

As we planned the trip planes continued to change. Finally we had a plan, which we finalized. The morning of something happened with the pick up truck we had planned to take. I am sure it was not a mechanical issue because the truck is practically brand new. However, we were not able to take the truck tuesday like we planned. It turns out it was a bit of divine planning. Tyler, who originally had planned to go, and would of gone if we had left on Tuesday, came down ill. He had an inflection in his intestines and was bed ridden till Friday. He is better now thankfully, but he was unable to journey with us.
Along this journey we had fun, including a game of Euchre with our Fernando, who at the time was driving. That did not last long, but I also encountered two robbers. About ten o'clock we stopped to use the restroom, and I went in to buy a sandwich, Fernando bought the same sandwich as I did plus a pop and paid 21 pesos, while I somehow had to pay 23 for the same sandwich and a small piece of candy. I am pretty sure the cashier just plain and simple robbed me. Afterwards as we were driving, we encountered check points at the bounder of each province, and as we entered one the officer asked to check our truck, Fernando showed him and was asked if we had fruit. I of course brought fruit to snack on, so Fernando showed him, only to be met with the response "Bon Provecho," which in the simplest form means bon appetite. I never saw my fruit again.

Despite the slow and frustrating start, the trip turned out to be incredible. As we drove through the mountains, which are the highest in the world outside the Himalayans, all I was able to think of is how God created these, and how he is able to move them without effort. It was a magnificent time of reflection and thought. The first day after Fernando and Andrew did not sleep and I only was able to manage a few uncomfortable hours, we did nothing. Rented a hostel, rested, rested some more, slept, and finally went into town to have a nice dinner. The next day we set out for the mountains. We drove past lakes blue as the sky, cold-crystal mountain streams, following a fast paced river into the heart of the mountains. There was an abandoned railroad, which casually strolled along the mountain side over hills and through tunnels. The railroad might of been my favorite part, watching carefully how it travels through a dark tunnel only to emerge again on the other side, seeing the it travel over bridges, and tracing it out into the distance only to see it disappear behind a grand mountain with a sharp curve. Must say it made me long to travel on it, but sadly at times the tracks lay broken and the bridges appeared unsure.

We arrived in the mountains to see two national landmarks: the Bridge of the Incas, which is a natural bridge that over time has been formed from ice and hot springs, and Aconcague, which is the highest peak in the world outside the Himalayas. We had a chance to walk around, take some photos, and spend time in the beautiful weather. It was definitely a place I would love to return to and do some more serious hiking (I lacked proper boots, backpack, and other equipment that would be necessary). Something that I have learned in my time in Argentina is that there is always an adventure. As we returned we stopped to make a dam in a mountain stream and drink its fresh water. As we continued retracing the train and night set in, we passed our road by 40 kilometers. I will let you do the math, but it is not a short distance. We returned home with goods to make pizza, a poncho, and hat (I bought the poncho and hat, because I was close to Chile, and that is what people do in Chile. NO? I thought everyone in Chile wore ponchos... oh well I have one now :) ).
The next day we began a long trip home, which we took slow and steady. We made several stops. One in Mendoza, in San Martin, and along the way. Arriving home I was refreshed and encouraged, however, I was still tired (almost wrote tried. I guess I am tired now too lol). It was a great trip.
Classes have now began and I am settling in well with those. It is great to have Cameron here with us now. I have missed that kid and I am sure he is going to grow tremendously, while he is down here. Well that is all for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment