Monday, May 7, 2012

Argentina Policía and Monotony


Life has a sense of monotony right now.  Days that were once filled with adventure, now seem plain.  Where there was once fear, rests normality.  Walking down the streets, taking the collectivo to the university, and or passing time with friends no longer have the suspense that once existed.  I am acustomed to the culture, to the lifestyle, and to the city.  It is a strange thought looking back in my journal, when every event, every place, every person had a strangeness to them.  There was something that excited my soul and that made me feel as if I was walking upon the edge of life.  Life is good in Argentina.  
If you have regularly followed my blog, you would have seen a gradual change in themes.  I have talked less and less about the things I am doing in Argentina, and more about the things I am learning.  I first realized that something was changing, when I sat in front of a blank screen trying to remember what I did during the week.  All I could think of were the things that have been changing in my life.  I believe this changed has dervired from the fact that life here has become normal.  I am still learning the language and the culture, but even that has been normalized.  The other day I was watching a movie, and the beginning began with a Star Wars like opening.  The background of the film was written in English, but the narrator spoke in Spanish.  I was listening in Spanish, reading in English and did not recognize the difference in language until after the fact.  For me that was a little bit of encouragement that I was oblivious to the fact that Spanish was even present.  
I am able to tell little facts, such as I played a bit of soccer Wednesday, I went out Thursday night with a French student and the grigos, or Friday when I went to the house of Pablo (the boyfriend of Krystal, who is a Grace student that now lives here) and had pizza and a movie.  However, those things don’t have the buzz they once did. 
With that being said, I did take a collectivo home at five in the morning friday night, which was quite an interesting experience with a loud drunk woman behind me, who I was sure, was going to puke.  I was thankful, when she only spit on the floor.  Yea, that is how bad it was.  When she finally got off the bus, I looked at Tyler, who was sitting next to me, and we both shook our heads.  Last night as we drove home from getting something to eat with Lucas, suddenly we saw blue flashing lights and heard a voice over the a loud speaker.  Looking at each other, we asked, “What did he say?”  Lucas shut off the music and the voice spoke again.  Still not understanding the voice, but Lucas pulled over.  Being asked where we were going and for all of our ID’s the police checked the car over.  Then let us go without explaining anything.  
I love the Argentine police!


No comments:

Post a Comment