I never knew I could be this nervous about anything. I am now five days out from leaving the country for six months. Even when I type that there is a weight that begins to lay on my chest. There is so much that I feel i need to do, but all I want to do is avoid the issue because I only seem to hasten my departure. So I am consuming my days with meaningless video games and movies just trying to avoid the situation. Never the less it still is approaching.
I would love to be able to say, "I will be fine," but I immediately adjust my statement to, "most likely I will be fine," or even "likely I will be fine." I am going to a foreign country speaking a language that I comprehend like a second grader, taking college courses in a city with 2.8 million people, living with a family I have never met, and likely speaks no english, and there is no going back for six months. I have to be feeling like many of the American explorers that came from Europe. Having no idea what I am about to get into. In my logical mind it makes no sense. It screams danger, frustration, and insanity. A small town boy going to a big city. It just does not feel nature.
I am excited though. I know it will be good, but prior to the good there will be bad. God will work on my heart. I will learn the language. I will learn and understand culture and people better. It will make me a better teacher, possibly soccer player, and most definitely person. I am excited, but it lies under a fearful exoskeleton, an almost paralytic feeling. I AM NOT IN CONTROL! I feel helpless in what seems to be a crashing plane. Oh, how God is going to work on me and my control issues. Well let the countdown begin... FIVE DAYS LEFT!
I would love to be able to say, "I will be fine," but I immediately adjust my statement to, "most likely I will be fine," or even "likely I will be fine." I am going to a foreign country speaking a language that I comprehend like a second grader, taking college courses in a city with 2.8 million people, living with a family I have never met, and likely speaks no english, and there is no going back for six months. I have to be feeling like many of the American explorers that came from Europe. Having no idea what I am about to get into. In my logical mind it makes no sense. It screams danger, frustration, and insanity. A small town boy going to a big city. It just does not feel nature.
I am excited though. I know it will be good, but prior to the good there will be bad. God will work on my heart. I will learn the language. I will learn and understand culture and people better. It will make me a better teacher, possibly soccer player, and most definitely person. I am excited, but it lies under a fearful exoskeleton, an almost paralytic feeling. I AM NOT IN CONTROL! I feel helpless in what seems to be a crashing plane. Oh, how God is going to work on me and my control issues. Well let the countdown begin... FIVE DAYS LEFT!
We will be praying... You will do great-just lean on Christ!! The Lillypad
ReplyDelete